John

Upscale wrote:
"John" wrote in message

Right on all points, except that he was talking about a sacrificial
board not attached to the workpiece. Why that would work I can't
imagine.

I don't own a planer, but I'm guessing that a sacrificial board end to end
with the working piece would negate the sudden introduction of the to the
blades, eliminating most if not all of the snipe.

Now I understand why I never get any snipe.

You see, I always leave my boards next to the planer for at least a
week before I mill them. With really difficult species, I'll sometimes
move them halfway across the shop first. I'll monitor things for a few
days and, as long as I don't hear any fighting or arguing, I'll move
them a bit closer. Then I'll say, in a quiet voice, "Mr. Planer, I'd
like you to meet Dalbergia nigra. He's visiting us from down south -
from Brazil, actually. Nigra, this is Mr. Parks." I wouldn't think of
introducing them suddenly.

Sudden introduction has nothing to to with it. A good planer that is
correctly set up and properly used will not give you any snipe.
Period.

John Martin