Colbyt

wrote in message
oups.com...
I recently had a house inspection conducted on a house I intend to
purchas. The inspection showed that PVC (not CPVC) was being used as
the T&P drain. The inspector stated that this may not have been
against code when it was built (8 years ago), but was not considered
acceptable according to his standards.

Is it truly a concern that the hot water drained would cause problems
with potential melting of the PVC joints?

There is access in the attic to replace a portion of the PVC up to
where it goes into the wall. If I had the accessible PVC replaced with
copper into a holding tank that subsequently connects to the PVC, would
it be sufficient to cool the water enough?

Is there a flexible hose option - similar to hot water hoses that
connect to washing machines?

I want to avoid any interior work where the lines go through the wall
and drain outside.

Around here it has not been legal to use anything other metal pipe for the T
& P for at least the last 20 years. The pipe must be the same size as the
cold water line entering the water heater. The line must discharge to the
outside and must not terminate more than 4" above the finished grade.

Other than doing it to code, yours may be different, I can't suggest any
anything.

Colbyt