AlexW

Lobster wrote:
I need to put a ring main in a small extension to the main house
(currently it has no power). The original outside wall to the house is
a cavity wall, and the flat roof of the extension meets the house wall
below the level of the ground floor ceiling. Floor in both main house
and extension are solid, and all the wiring is above the ceiling therefore.

So how should I get the cables across the cavity and into the extension?
There is no way through other than through the cavity. Should I pass it
through a conduit of some sort to protect it within the cavity? Any
thoughts (including what the regs say on this) much appreciated.

Thanks
David

I have had 2 conservatories built, 1 this month. "Pro" sparks wired both.

First the cable bridged the cavity unprotected to get the feed into the
conservatory and was run inside the cavity unprotected.

Second, similar although the walls are rubble filled (more likely for
things to drop eh?).

I am no expert and have no clue about the regs, but realistically whats
going to fall on the cable? insulation? wall tie? snot of mortar?

AIUI most hazardous is the insulation (if EPS ... posted thread a while
back on EPS & cables) ... I asked a spark I know about this and his
opinion was that it would not cause a problem unless the circuit was
seriously loaded causing the cables to heat.

HTH,

Alex.