North

Ron Tock wrote in message
news:zKVJe.242$0d.118@trnddc07...

North wrote in message

Lawrence Glickman wrote in message
On Wed, 03 Aug 2005 14:16:55 -0500, the seventh sign
wrote:

Lee Michaels wrote:
"CanopyCo" wrote in message
oups.com...
Gunner wrote:
My $#@!! kid turned off the firewall (again) and downloaded

something
with a nasty malware called W32/Gaelicum.A

Its infected virtually every .exe file in both my server and my
personal computer. Im posting from my non-networked laptop.

It only effects flles with a .exe extension, but thats thousands

of
files on all 4 computers on the network. There is very little

info
on
the net about it, AVG has only been able to detect it for a week

or
so.

It appears to be a trojan of some sort.

Anyone got any suggestions of cleaning the sumbitch, other than a

full
hard drive format..which means I have to format at least 14
drives...sigh

Just a heads up on the format option (should that be the rout that

you
take);

Be sure to go the extra step and F Disk the drive too.
I have found that many PC Pelages will manage to dodge the format
attack, but cannot dodge the F Disk assault.

"F Disk"??

What is this?

Where do I find out more about it?

it is spelled wrong it is fdisk .
TSS

doesn't exist under Windows XP, but then gunner said he is running
linux.

When I need to fdisk, I simply boot from my dos 5 floopy set.
fdisk is an old dos command that erases the HD. Fdisk should aways be

done
before formatting. I's the sure fire way to clean the HD.

I ALWAYS fdisk'ed before a standard format and I have done so for years.

In
my experience it is
the best way to truly clean the HDD for an OS reinstall.
HOWEVER...I hear that there are some viruses that can survive this
procedure. I've never
seen anything......ever...... survive an fdisk but this is what I hear.
Just food for thought.

Here's what I've heard (only heard, never experinced):
Some fingerprints of a nasty can be left after an fdisk. These fingerprints
in somecases will rebuild the virus 'after' the user goes back online.

In these cases do the fdisk twice (fdisk then reformat then fdisk again then
reformat then reinstall the OS).

If that doesn't do it, throw the infected box out of the window, head to the
electronics store to buy a new box and a 'hardware' based firewall.

n.