Tony Bryer

Default Want to build a new house in my back garden

In article , The Natural
Philosopher wrote:
Well, I'll give you my take on low energy fridges.

Where does the extra energy go?

Into heating my house. OK I am paying 6p a Kw/h as against 2.5p for
oil, but its not a net total loss.

So every bit of energy efficient electrical stuff has to have the so
called gains offset by the amount of oil LESS I burn to keep warm.

Its the same with 'we could save the country XXX by half filling the
kettle'
No, we could save the country about .6 of X at best.

Yes, the extra energy used does cut the amount needed for heating ...
but only if you are heating the place. On a hot day like today the
fridge is working harder and making the house less comfortable.

In terms of boiler replacement, its an easy calculation. 2% off you
energy bill for what - a couple of hundred quid.

More like 10%. Doubtful economics on a small modern flat perhaps.