Timothy Murphy

Ian Stirling wrote:

I know this theory about the limits of rechargeable batteries,
but I use them all the time, in everything (except smoke alarms).
I find they work perfectly well in devices that claim otherwise,
eg TV remote controls and wireless computer mice.

NiMH cells are especially poor for this service.
They will often be essentially dead at 6 months.
NiCd is significantly better, usually having power at 12 months. (IME)

What exactly does "essentially dead" mean?
Do you mean that the battery is no longer rechargeable?

If it is recharged once a fortnight
that would mean you could only recharge it 13 times.
That is certainly not my experience.
From my experience an NiMH battery can be recharged
hundreds, perhaps thousands, of times before it "dies".
Eg I'm currently using a 4 year old laptop
with a battery that has been recharged at least daily,
and it has lost about half its capacity.

If you mean that a single charge lasts for 6 months
then I would be more than happy with that.

--
Timothy Murphy
e-mail (80k only): tim /at/ birdsnest.maths.tcd.ie