mac davis

On Mon, 08 Aug 2005 12:23:37 -0700, Dooler wrote:

I am wanting to build a workbench, but am unsure how to handle the
slope/unevenness in my garage. Do I make one leg longer than another?
Doing this would make it unlevel if I ever move. The legs/body is
going to be from hard maple and design is based off the how-to bench
from DIY network's show woodworking.

Any thoughts or ideas?

Thanks in advance
- Clayton

Being lazy, and starting with a bench that I built for a level floor, I used the
following method: (YMMV)

Drill 2 3/8" or larger holes in each "down hill" leg...

Mark matching holes in short pieces of scrap that matches leg.. (in my case, 2 x
6")

Rout adjustment slots in the pieces of scrap, usually 1 1/2" or so will do it...

Lift low end with floor jack until level...

Bolt scrap on legs with carriage bolts...

Lower bench and check level..

After adding these, I didn't like the look of the scrap blocks, (I put them on
the outside of the leg, to avoid a cross beam), I added a 2 x 4" across the 2
scrap blocks for a foot rest...

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing