Swingman

"Dooler" wrote in message
I am wanting to build a workbench, but am unsure how to handle the
slope/unevenness in my garage. Do I make one leg longer than another?
Doing this would make it unlevel if I ever move. The legs/body is
going to be from hard maple and design is based off the how-to bench
from DIY network's show woodworking.

You can stop the bench from rocking on an uneven floor, but that doesn't
necessarily mean that the bench is "level".

While the following doesn't necessarily apply to those Cadillac benches for
aesthetic reasons, it will work on any bench destined for use on an uneven
concrete floor like you find in garage shops, and it is cheap:

One trick that helps in solving both level and rocking problems, in that if
makes it much easier to shim, is to design the legs so that half of the
inside bottom of the leg (usually the inside half) is about 1/4 to 1/2"
shorter than the outside half, thusly:

* *
* *
* *
* *
* ******
*******

That "notch" on the foot of each leg makes it real easy to shim heavy
bench/work table for both level and rocking on all four legs. You can cut
the shallow notch into your solid legs, or if you make your bench legs out
of doubled 2 x 4's as many of us poor boys did, just make one tubufour
slightly shorter than the other.

FWIW

--
www.e-woodshop.net