The Natural Philosopher

Default Want to build a new house in my back garden

Tony Bryer wrote:

In article , The Natural
Philosopher wrote:

Take the above scenario, in which the superior house is 600 quid
cheaper to run. At current mortage rates (6% gross?) that is
equivalent to paying an extra 10 grand for the house.

So if buying one to this better specification is only £5K more, it
should be a no-brainer. But I suspect that the truth is (and which is
why we have Building Regs) that you would be hard pushed to get an
extra £1K.

Take boilers: pay an extra £100-200 and you will save an extra
£25-100. But 90% (?) of people who have a boiler replaced only want
to know how cheaply it can be done, not what it will cost to run. I'm
shortly swapping my fridge: likely replacement comes in two flavours,
A and B rated efficiency. Extra cost of the A rated, £20. Reckoned
saving 100 units p.a. = £7. If most purchasers were at all interested
in energy they'd have given up making the B grade model ages ago.

Well, I'll give you my take on low energy fridges.

Where does the extra energy go?

Into heating my house. OK I am paying 6p a Kw/h as against 2.5p for oil,
but its not a net total loss.

So every bit of energy efficient electrical stuff has to have the so
called gains offset by the amount of oil LESS I burn to keep warm.

Its the same with 'we could save the country XXX by half filling the kettle'

No, we could save the country about .6 of X at best.

In terms of boiler replacement, its an easy calculation. 2% off you
energy bill for what - a couple of hundred quid.

In terms of e.g. double glazing its a phenomenal con. DG alone (if you
remove the dramatic effects that sealing windows properly has on heat
loss) never ever pays for itself, unless you have HUGE windows.

Floor and wall insulation is very marginal when fitted post build due to
the expense of doing it - apart from dry lining which is very cost
effective.

Only loft insulation is simple and cheap enough to do to be a complete
no brainer for any householder.