The Natural Philosopher

Default Want to build a new house in my back garden

Bob wrote:

Andy Hall wrote:

On Tue, 8 Jun 2004 09:56:04 +0100, "IMM" wrote:

We are short of about 4 million homes.
The government can easily make most of them eco homes.

But would people buy them?

They would have no choice and 99% of people would love an eco house.

That's an awfully big assumption for which there is no evidence at
all.

Well I wouldn't buy one, so count me out of that 99%.

All the things that make it "eco" make it unpleasant to live in - things
like low ceilings, air tight rooms and strange modern materials that make
people sick. Not to mention the sheer uglyness and brutality of most
modern designs (why do they think everyone wants walls of glass and a house
that looks and feels like an office?)

Best eco house would be an airconditioned underground bunker.

Lit by light pipes.

No windows at all.

Are you proposing legislation to enforce
that as well?

We need to cut CO2 emissions.

Fine.

Roll on fusion power then. Then we can heat our homes guilt free, and not
have to suffer the awful compromises demanded by eco-nuts.

Bob