-=D@n=-

Aaron wrote:
-=D@n=- wrote:

Right ok, I never thought of that. So, if I can find some other
earth nearby I can just attach to that. Of course I can.

Thanks Paul

It has to be another electical earth though really... Not a copper
pipe or some bonded metal work. Another thought is that if you really
want to run an earth why don't you just run another piece of T+E (use
the old cable to pull it through)? I only ask because if the earth
wire was in bad condition then the live and neutral could be in
similar conditions (I guess they could have been exposed to outside
moisture) and in that case you would really need a good earth if not
to reduce the risk of you burning your house down.

Yes, you're right. The live and neutral were not in great condition.
Probably, as you say, down to being exposed. I think I'm going to find an
area in the void where I can cut the existing wire, join a new piece on, use
the duff wire to feed the new wire through to the outside. Probably the best
thing I can do.

Thanks all for your help, invaluable.

Dan

--
People call me old-fashioned. What a load of old poppycock!