John Schmitt

Lobster wrote:
There is an old tree stump in the garden which SWMBO has decreed shall
be removed. I'm not fussed about what happens below ground, it just
needs to be pretty well flush with the surface; so it's not worth the
expense of having it removed properly by pros, or hiring an mini digger
or something (although it would be a nice excuse; I've always wanted a
go with one...!)

If you have contacts with someone with access to concentrated sulphuric
acid, drill the stump full of half inch holes about an inch apart and
two inches deep. Pour in the acid, taking all the normal precautions and
wait about six weeks. The stump will then be reduced to a pulpy, fibrous
material which can be burnt or dug in to the garden. This method also
kills the roots so that irritating suckers do
not keep popping up.

John Schmitt