Andy Hall

Default Want to build a new house in my back garden

On Tue, 8 Jun 2004 11:22:25 +0100, "IMM" wrote:

"Andy Hall" wrote in message

Since I've been involved in the design,
engineering, marketing and
selling of products at various times,
I do have an appreciation of
what is involved.

You don't. You know nothing of eco homes or the construction business and
lack common sense.

We'll agree to differ on that one.

Encourage selfbuilding and individual
homes would emerge.

I don't have a problem with self
building or individual development as
long as the properties produced are
acceptable to those living near
them.

So you prefer Barratt pastiche. My God.

I didn't say that at all.

You implied that. Appalling.

I implied nothing of the sort.

You can't focus that is certain.

It isn't an issue of focus, but of reality.

Eco is not on their agenda because they
know nothing of it.

That's one of many reasons.

For a product to sell, a whole bunch of
factors have to be in place.
Availability and awareness are only two of them.

A product is made to standards.

There is a great deal more to it than that.

There isn't much more at all.

I would recommend that you never attempt to start a business.

If all are to an eco standard then the
public will know the standard and buy accordingly.

Only if educated on the benefits,

That will happen. I recall how people from Victorian slums (now they put in
a bathroom and call them cottages) moved into new homes with CH. They
couldn't understand what a thermostats was, never mind a time clock. They
thought it was an on-off switch. Many abandoned the Ch and put in an
expensive to run electric fire and all huddled around it. Now people
understand CH and no one in their right minds does what they did. People
know what a thermostat and programmer is. They know about rad valves, etc.
they are all educated up to it.

.... and it will probably taken a similar period of time to educate
them on the next thing.

In short, they will only
have an eco choice in a new house.
So, if a 100 homes are eco and next to
them another 100 homes of similar size
and spec that are not, the eco homes
will command a higher price.

That doesn't necessarily follow at all.

It does.

It may for you because this is an important criterion to you.
If you want to pay more for an eco home, go ahead.
Today, most people won't. They don't care enough. Not an issue for
them.

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl