Chris Lewis

According to SQLit :

"Dave" wrote in message
news:nXMJe.7407$084.2656@attbi_s22...
I bought a new table saw and I can run it on 120 or 220, However, they
recommend 220. What does running it on 220 buy me over 120? Thanks for

your
opinions.

The 240v installation will cost ya more. You will need a motor starter if
one is not supplied. It is always a good idea to have overloads in the motor
starter. Lots of manufactures make a "manual motor starters" Get one that
fits your situation.

If you don't need one for 120v, you won't need one for the same motor wired for 240v.

"Magnetic starters" aren't really "motor starters" per-se. The basic purpose
is as a safety measure to not have the tool come back on after a power failure
is restored. They are essentially nothing more than a relay wired so that
a momentary pushbutton switch activates the coil, and if you lose power, the coil
stays deenergized after the power is restored. It won't turn back on until
you push the button again.

Some "starters" (like the ones SQLit was referencing) contain additional
thermal/current overload protection. But those are generally only necessary
for motors that don't already have thermal overload buttons on them.
--
Chris Lewis, Una confibula non set est