Sherman

On Sun, 7 Aug 2005 21:35:44 -0500, "Don Young"
wrote:

If you install a shed roof to direct water back to a narrow space between
the shed and the house you will always regret it. Don't do it. Just turn the
shed in another direction or get a different design.
Don Young
"chester" wrote in message
You say that the shed roof will be directing water toward the house.
This, on the face of it, sounds like a bad idea. In fact, anything that
directs water _toward_ the house sounds like a bad idea and most of us do
a lot of work with gutters and drains and landscaping to make sure that
water heads in the other direction. Where is it that the water will be
going once it rolls down the shed roof and hits the house? Is there some
escape route? Will it run down between the shed and the house and, if so,
where will it go then?

Well, it DOES sound like a bad idea, to be sure. I will not attatch the
shed to the foundation. The idea would be, that the slab will be sloped
away from the house mildly, and the water would run down the back and down
the concreate away from the house. but it still makss me a bit
uncomfortable. I dont have the sheds yet, so I cant really get a grasp of
how it will be. I have given some thought to rigging a gutter system for
the backs of the sheds, that would take the water away from the back of
the sheds.

I write this as one who spent many backbreaking hours demolishing two
large concrete patios that were poured attached to the foundation of my
older home and which, by design or shifting, were sloped to direct water
toward the foundation. It made for a really ugly situation during heavy
downpours.

My horror story has to do with termites coming into my home from
between the slab and my foundation. I now refuse to butt up a slab to
my foundation. I want a gap of 2 or 3 inches minimum so I can make a
visible check of my foundaton completely around the house.