Pagan

"Robert11" wrote in message
Hello:

Would like to get some idea of what a "reasonable" cost would
be before contacting any contractors.

Job would entail replacing an old 120 amp FPE circuit breaker box with a

new
200 amp,
probably Square D, one. To include about 20 or so new breakers, etc.

Cost me about $3,200.

While that may seem steep, several things needed to be addressed.

The house is almost 70 years old, with old cloth-type insulation on the
wires. Yank it around like it's new stuff will cause the insulation to
flake off, causing shorts.

The box needed to be moved to the other side of the house to comply with
code.

Some of the codes for my city required some pricey materials, such as a 4"
pipe for the entry elbow, all metal conduit, and so forth.

Some new circuits needed to be run, such as a 50 amp feed for the new A/C.

Over the past 70 years, a couple amateur electricians made some very amateur
repairs/additions, which needed to be redone.

It took two days, during which I still had electricity for most of the
house, most of the time. I upgraded a 100 amp panel to a 200 amp Square D,
with a butload of extra breakers for future circuits. Everything complies
with code, and it works.

He did a fantastic job. I've had other electricians who did sloppy,
unreliable, and mostly dangerous jobs, which I ended up having fixed by the
expensive guy. He's the only contractor which I can say I get what I pay
for.

Pagan