Andy Hall

Default Want to build a new house in my back garden

On Tue, 8 Jun 2004 09:56:04 +0100, "IMM" wrote:

We are short of about 4 million homes.
The government can easily make most of them eco homes.

But would people buy them?

They would have no choice and 99% of people would love an eco house.

That's an awfully big assumption for which there is no evidence at
all.

Are you proposing legislation to enforce
that as well?

We need to cut CO2 emissions.

Fine.

And also any
extension can also be eco.

It can be.

Then there is the conservatories which are heated
and burn fuel like crazy.

That's an overstatement.

It is not. Compare a conservatory to a superinsulated extension.

I wasn't - I was comparing it to a conventional house which is what
most people have.

You seem to advocate large glass areas
as part of an eco house on the
argument of solar gain. At least be consistent.

You obviously know nothing of passive solar.

I know enough not to be hoodwinked by your BS.

There must be a way of preventing these from being
built.

That would really be a popular move for the government to make.
There's even reluctance to bring construction within building
regulations.

Most people would rather have a proper roofed high insulated
extension, so provision to make them easier to build rather than energy
sucking conservatories is the way.

Would they? So why do most of them
buy conservatories rather than
building extensions?

Because of planning regs and conservatories are cheap, being just kits.
Can't you even see that?

Conservatories can range from cheap to more expensive than an
extension.. They also largely avoid bureaucracy. There's a clue
there as well.

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl