BillyBob

"Dooler" wrote in message
I am wanting to build a workbench, but am unsure how to handle the
slope/unevenness in my garage. Do I make one leg longer than another?
Doing this would make it unlevel if I ever move. The legs/body is
going to be from hard maple and design is based off the how-to bench
from DIY network's show woodworking.

Any thoughts or ideas?

Well, my afternoon project is addressing this problem on my workbench. I'm
using these leveling feet available at Rockler http://tinyurl.com/9ao8v.
I'll let you know how it works out. If you really want to go beefy, see
charlie b's website at
http://home.comcast.net/~charliebcz/MT/CBbench20.html. Mine cost $2.50
each. I think Charlies are $15.00 each. Guess which one is bigger and more
heavy duty?

I found levelers on other websites similar to mine that quoted load bearing
of 300 lb each. That should be sufficient. My biggest concern is whether
they will cause the bench to slide around or not. I'll let you know.

BTW, my workbench is solid maple with 2 1/4" thick maple top, but its small
(28" x 54"). With its heavy bench vise and a drawer full of planes I am
guessing it weighs about 120 lb.

The DIY bench calls for mounting the vise directly to the edge of the bench.
I recommend you mortise the rear jaw into the bench and below the surface.
That allows you to have one continuous surface on top and the rear jaw of
the vise is part of a continuous surface with your bench apron. I put a 4'"
x 3/4" apron on my bench and extended it across the rear vise jaw. Its makes
for a much friendlier clamping situation.

Bob