The Natural Philosopher

Default Want to build a new house in my back garden

Andy Hall wrote:

Then there is the conservatories which are heated
and burn fuel like crazy.

That's an overstatement. With double glazed low-E glass, the heat
loss is reduced substantially. With solar gain taken into account,
it isn't typically an order of magnitude more than a conventional room
of the same size.

Mmm. In winter it is tho. You can get a U value o about 0.2 out of a
well insulated wall: best glass I have seen is around 2.

OK, that doesn't take into account solar gains, true, but...

You seem to advocate large glass areas as part of an eco house on the
argument of solar gain. At least be consistent.

People in glass houses...ahahaha

There must be a way of preventing these from being
built.

That would really be a popular move for the government to make.
There's even reluctance to bring construction within building
regulations.

Most people would rather have a proper roofed high insulated
extension, so provision to make them easier to build rather than energy
sucking conservatories is the way.

Would they? So why do most of them buy conservatories rather than
building extensions?

I can think of three factors, and there are probably more -

- Because they like them (of course "like" is not an issue in a
totalitarian world)

- Because bureaucracy does not normally need to be involved

- Because they can be built and completed pretty quickly

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl