Gunner

On Sun, 7 Aug 2005 17:44:36 +0000 (UTC), Christopher Tidy
wrote:

The single phase 10 KVA transformer looks like it can be wired to take 240
vac up to 480 vac. Transformers dont mind being reverse connected, as you
probably know, even though the primary is conventially wound closest to the
core. The eBay transformer would be a good choice for your need to use a
480 vac idler to make 480 vac 3 phase from a 240 vac power source..

Thanks for the advice. Out of curiousity, why is the primary
traditionally wound closest to the core? This transformer is tempting,
but my concern is that the "official" voltage in the UK is 415 V, so I
will be supplying a somewhat excessive voltage to the motors. What do
you think?

I asume that you are more comfortable with 480 vac than I am. I hate
480.

I'm pretty careful. I only ever once had a shock, and that was off a
capacitor which had held a charge for a while. After that I was very
wary of capacitors.

Chris

Its not the shock so much as the tendency to form a nice plasma cloud
which can really **** up your whole day.

Anyone need transformers, I have em up to 45kva.
Single and 3 phase.

And 3 phase motors up to 5 hp coming out my ass.

Gunner, California