Beachcomber

On Sun, 07 Aug 2005 14:27:24 GMT, "Edwin Pawlowski"
wrote:

"Mikepier" wrote in message
oups.com...

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:
Before
you invest much time and money in it, check out the prices of new units.
Small bedroom sized units can be bought new for less that the minimum an
AC
tech has to charge to troubleshoot and repair it.

I guess you didn't read my entire post.

First off, what size A/C are we talking about? If it's like 5,000 or
6000 BTU, I would not waste time, they are so cheap today and more
energy efficient. You could pick one for $100.

But I replied to the OP first. HIS post stated the voltage. YOU made
essentially the same comment I made. What is the problem? apples - oranges

Starting current for an air conditioner can be as much as 5 times more
than the running current. The voltage drop from any sort of common
extension cord, or outlet strip when faced with this current may drop
the voltage low enough to where it will not start the compressor.

Portable AC's should never be connected to power strips or ordinary
extension cords. Also, keep your lamps off of this extension cord.
The only proper extension cords are the rather thick and stiff cords
that are sold as "Air Conditioner Extension Cords". These should be
as short as possible. The shortest ones are just 3 ft.

The larger portable AC's ( 12000 BTU's) run best on their own
circuit.

Your house wiring can also be poor quality for the starting and
running of air condition for the same reason. If there are any high
resistance points (ex. cheap back-stabber outets) or long runs of
circuits that are already heavily loaded, you may not be able to start
the compressor.

In the worst case, you will burn out your compresser motor without
tripping any breakers as the rotor will lock and the coils will just
cook.

Beachcomber