Andy Hall

On Mon, 8 Aug 2005 11:35:36 +0100, "Doctor Drivel"
wrote:

"Doctor Drivel" wrote in message
reenews.net...

"Andy Hall" wrote in message

In fact 84% of people are against green belt reduction

From the BBC web site:

snip drivel

In fact 84% of people are against green belt reduction

I lived in Britain for nine months and was quite impressed with the
green belt idea. I wish my government had enacted such a scheme to
protect the countryside where I live. Unfortunately, because nothing
has been done to halt 'progress', and because real estate is now so
high, most farmers have already sold their land to developers. There
seems to be no concept of preserving beauty, only a quick means of
obtaining money. Continue the fight to save the green belt in Britain!
B Haley, South Hadley, USA

The greenbelt should not be built upon. Some parts of Hertfordshire
have already become an extension of London - the rest of the county
needs to be protected.
Natalie, Herts

There is plenty of wasted land in cities that can be developed and
existing buildings that could be redeveloped for optimum use, so let's
make use of that instead.
Chris, Dartford, Kent

Why not turn all green belt land control over to the National Trust ?
Trevor Neale, S****horpe, England

Can't believe that this has to be questioned - perhaps a cap should be
put on the amount of people that this island can support before it
becomes completely concrete. So much for this green and pleasant land.
Jackie G, Exeter

The best way to protect green belt land is to simply not allow further
building on it. Renovate older, run down areas, wasteland, abandoned
warehouses, etc. Pull them down and build there, rather than on the
green belt. I like the countryside, and I am fearful that in the
future the entire country will be one huge conurbation, a mega-city.
Keep the green belt!
Jenny, Hull, UK

etc.

--