Harry K

I recently had a house inspection conducted on a house I intend to
purchas. The inspection showed that PVC (not CPVC) was being used as
the T&P drain. The inspector stated that this may not have been
against code when it was built (8 years ago), but was not considered
acceptable according to his standards.

Is it truly a concern that the hot water drained would cause problems
with potential melting of the PVC joints?

There is access in the attic to replace a portion of the PVC up to
where it goes into the wall. If I had the accessible PVC replaced with
copper into a holding tank that subsequently connects to the PVC, would
it be sufficient to cool the water enough?

Is there a flexible hose option - similar to hot water hoses that
connect to washing machines?

I want to avoid any interior work where the lines go through the wall
and drain outside.

Any thoughts?

The PVC should be fine. As to the inspector he is inserting his
personal belief into a matter of code. If it isn't allowed 'now' fine,
but it was when it was installed and thus is grandfathered in. He
might not like it but that's just tough. This being an inspector he
has no enforcement powers, were it a code enforcer of some type
refusing to clear it, I would be at his supervisor's office
immediately.

Harry K