-=D@n=-

PC Paul wrote:
Grunff wrote:
-=D@n=- wrote:

I replaced some external lights yesterday, the usual black lantern
type. Anyway, when I was trying to fit one, the corroded earth wire
coming from the wall snapped off completely. The instructions for
the lights say they must be earthed, is this definitely the case?

Yes.

There's no way I can be chuffed running a new wire.

Then should you really be messing with electrics?

What's the worst that can happen?

You could die.

Worse still, someone other than you could die.

I agree with all that... *but*...

Your other option is to find a plastic framed double insulated light
- that wouldn't need an earth.

Hmm ok, that's a thought.

Remember too that the earth doesn't have to be in the same bit of T+E
as the supply. You can run a single earth from the nearest point you
can get at. As long as the light chassis is earthed it won't care
where it comes from.

Right ok, I never thought of that. So, if I can find some other earth nearby
I can just attach to that. Of course I can.

Thanks Paul

--
People call me old-fashioned. What a load of old poppycock!