Jim Adney

On Fri, 5 Aug 2005 19:41:51 -0400 "BoborAnn"
wrote:

I have a Mercedes E320 that has a blower that only gets to about 30% of max
speed.
I've determined its the blower regulator that takes the control voltage that
varies from approximately 0-8 VDC in 8 steps and controls the ground
connection of the blower ( which has its Hot tied to +12)
The problem is that Mercedes realized that this part ( that cost $190 )was a
bad design and redesigned it for better cooling BUT you need change the
Blower ( another $400+ ) and add a bracket ( another $50) to use the new one
. I've checked all the MB forums and the answer is simply buy it for $700+
S I opened it up and this regulator is a single 4 terminal device that has
boot over it with the markings 9 140 010 179 Made in France 90.943.02.385

The first # looks like a Bosch #. I THINK the second one is in the
format that M-B uses, but it's been a few years since I dealt with
those.

Removing the Boot reveals a device that looks like a high current rectifier
approximately by 1"X1" X1/2: with a metal surface for attachment to a
heatsink ( they use the blower frame for a heatsink.
This device has the markings bk133.1 2fb-5 and I believe its made by Behr

I don't recognize those numbers. Have you tried Googling on them?

It would be helpful to know how this module works and what they did
differently in the revised module.

I agree that a PWM approach would probably be the most promising, but
you have to be careful because automotive applications are pretty
tough on electronics.

-
Jim Adney
Madison, WI 53711 USA