Al A.

On Sun, 07 Aug 2005 15:31:37 -0400, Bob Engelhardt
wrote:

I am going to make a threading dial for my Jet 1024. It seems pretty
straight forward, but I want to do a sanity check and ask a couple of
questions.

1. My Logan 200 and the Jet have the same lead screw (8 tpi). I assume
that this means I should use a 16 tooth dial gear, as that is what the
Logan has.

2. The lead screw looks like an Acme thread, could it be something
else? If so, how would I figure out what it is?

3. What is this kind of gear called? I.e., when I call Boston Gear,
what should I say I need? Is "To fit an 8 tpi Acme thread sufficient"?

Thanks,
Bob

Hi Bob,
I'm not sure if this helps or not, but the threading dial I use on my
1024 (the twin of yours...) is from a 9" South Bend, same 8TPI lead
screw, but the gear on the threading dial is 32 teeth. I stumbled on
the SB indicator and having nothing to lose, just tried it on my Jet,
which did not have one when I got it. Nice smooth operation with
minimal slop. Works fine.

I am pretty sure that someone else here can tell you what sort of
thread form a SB uses. Should be close enough.

-AL A.

PS, how did you make out with the backgears? Did you get that
all straightened out?

-AL