Edwin Pawlowski

"Lovegas" wrote in message

Basically, now the AC unit will not operate at all, either in fan or
cooling
mode, and it just gives a 'hum' when switched on.

Unfortunately, there's no model# on the unit...or if there was the sticker
is
not longer there.

Usually on a sticker or lable behind the grill.

I could use some advice on how to troubleshoot this (and if needed, how to
find the model# ).
I couldn't find anything on the web regarding general AC repair and the
HVAC
newsgroup seemed moe industry base, so I came here.
Anyone care to give it a stab?

In dog years it is 84 years old. In window AC years, it is about that old
also.

The fan motor may be trying to start, but gummed up bearings can be a
problem. Most small motors have sealed bearings and no way to oil them.
You can put a couple of drops of oil on the shaft, but it is a long shot
that enough will get to the bearings to last any time. Try spinning the
fan (blower wheel) by hand and then turn on the switch while it is still
turning. Get your fingers out first! Sometimes you can get it moving like
that, but it is just a quick fix, not a real cure. I got by for three days
like that until I was able to get a new motor.

The compressor can be the same way, or it may have lost its charge. Before
you invest much time and money in it, check out the prices of new units.
Small bedroom sized units can be bought new for less that the minimum an AC
tech has to charge to troubleshoot and repair it.