Dave Plowman (News)

In article .com,
wrote:
Lazy question, but I'll chance it ... maybe someone can suggest a
website.

I have just bought a digital set-top box (STB) (Panasonic TU-CT30) and
I'm receiving properly.

Problem: recording onto VHS, and general SCART connections.

Each of the VHS machine, the TV, and the STB have two SCART
connections. All are Panasonic -- and they seem to be able to talk to
one another; but maybe the latter is standard across all brands
nowadays?

One STB SCART goes to the TV, the other to the VHS. The other VHS SCART
goes to the TV; and that's it. No other SCART plugs sockets to use.

1. What would one do about a DVD player (hardly ever used, so not a big
deal).

The problem is that not all SCARTS are the same. Some are RGB - the
highest quality - some S-Video, the next best, and some composite only.
And then there's whether they link through or accept all the various
commands from peripherals. It's a total minefield.

The STB should be connected to the RGB SCART on the TV for best results,
as should the DVD (or maybe S-Video). The VHS, either S-Video if an S-VHS,
or composite if not, as VHS is way below accepted standards for picture
quality these days.

2. I assume that the STB has but one analogue output channel (like NTL
cable); at least only one video signal channel.

It depends. They're not all the same. You'll need to check the spec.

3. When I press 'direct record' on the VHS, I get a message something
like 'recording directly from TV'; and it records okay. But when the TV
gets switched off, the recording stops.

With mine, I have Smartlink. To set an unattended recording, you do this
via the STB - not the VHS or DVD recorder, although obviously they have to
be left in a record ready mode.

4. Recording via VHS programme timer does not work (using AV1 as the
channel) -- I sort of expected it to work like NTL (by choosing the
channel programmed to NTL output). Blank recording, but not noise.

5. I don't need to be able to switch between digital channels during a
recording sequence. But I see the STB has some sort of timer facility
-- there are instructions on the timer, but no indication what is its
purpose.

If the recorder has a Smartlink facility, then this is the way to go. And
it will work whether the TV is on or off.

--
*On the seventh day He brewed beer *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.