David Billington

What you are trying to do sounds like the Westinghouse 4kva convertor I
have. It has a step-up transformer built in and various taps to allow
380V, 415V, 440V etc. Makes using kit easier as I can just plug it in.
Currently running a Bridgeport, Harrison M300 and a few other items from
it.

Christopher Tidy wrote:

Still thinking about a phase convertor...

I've just seen this transformer on eBay which is rated at 10 kVA. It
says the primary is rated at 240 - 480 V and the secondary at 120 -
240 V. Do you think this might be suitable for a phase convertor if
used in reverse? Perhaps there is some way to reduce the voltage
slightly before feeding it to the idler motor, or perhaps the motors
would stand 480 V? We don't get the full 240 V from our supply anyway.

Here is the link:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/10kva-Transfor...cm dZViewItem

Chris