3T39

Hello, Slartibartfast!
You wrote on Sun, 7 Aug 2005 09:26:21 +0100:

S It has worked with no problems until yesterday. I was trying to record
S to it from a mini disc deck. It was recording OK for anything from
S about three minutes up to 45 minutes, but then it would suddenly stop
S and flash a message "Check Disc". The music recorded up to that point
S plays back with no problems.

S I thought at first it might be a problem with the discs, as I'd just
S bought a new pack, but I tried a different brand and the same thing
S happened. I've tried recording using an optical cable and a coaxial
S cable, and I've also tried an analogue recording from the radio tuner,
S but the result is the same.

About the only thing you can do yourself is to carefully clean the laser
lens with alcahol on a cotton bud. I think its reasonable to suppose that
the problem with an old machine like this might well be a buildup of dust on
the lens. The problem of course is getting at the laser. I don't know which
model you have but if you remove the case cover (usually just four small
philips screws) the laser assembly should be accessable if you open the
drawer. See if you can find the little blue lens, like a little eye, located
under the tray. If you can see it, CAREFULLY and GENTLY clean it with a
little isapropyl alcahol or something simillar (leaves no residue) on a
cotton bud. Don't try to dry it, just leave it to dry for a few minutes on
its own. See if that fixes it. With luck this might do the trick,.If not,
then I'm afraid a repair is unlikely to be economic.

With best regards, 3T39. E-mail: