Michael A. Terrell

Ozone and heat accelerate the process. Some instruments by their very
design generate ozone and heat internally. Keeping the foam away from
direct sunlight certainly doesn't hurt, my experience is that sunlight
accelerates the process even more.

Best long-term strategy may be to remove the foam while it's intact,
before it deteriorates, and replace it. Especially if there's a fan to
distribute the little gunky particles around, cleaning up after the
fact is a real pain. This isn't always easy because often the foam is
glued in place (and the glue tends to go gooey and gunky itself.)

Tim.

Depending on the adhesive used either automotive hand cleaner, or
"Goo Gone" cleans up the mess. I scrapped a number of old Burroughs
computer systems in the past to use for storage. they were full of the
sticky residue.. I carefully lifted a corner and peeled away all that i
could which left the sticky film from the double sided mounting tape. I
laid the panels on a pair of saw horses out in the hot Florida sun and
rubbed a couple fingers full of cheap hand cleaner and let it sit for an
hour. I hosed it off, then removed the remaining bits of the double
sided tape and used a little more hand cleaner to finish it up. The
"Goo Gone" works on smaller areas, but it evaporates quickly so you may
have to use a lot of it.

--
Link to my "Computers for disabled Veterans" project website deleted
after threats were telephoned to my church.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida