Slartibartfast

Default Problem with Compact Disc Recorder

I own a six year old Pioneer PDR-509 Compact Disc Recorder, (The Hi-Fi type
of recorder - nothing to do with computers), which over that time hasn't
been used a great deal.

It has worked with no problems until yesterday. I was trying to record to
it from a mini disc deck. It was recording OK for anything from about three
minutes up to 45 minutes, but then it would suddenly stop and flash a
message "Check Disc". The music recorded up to that point plays back with
no problems.

I thought at first it might be a problem with the discs, as I'd just bought
a new pack, but I tried a different brand and the same thing happened. I've
tried recording using an optical cable and a coaxial cable, and I've also
tried an analogue recording from the radio tuner, but the result is the
same.

As someone with no technical knowledge, my only other course of action seems
to be to find a local repair shop (who may not be interested due to its
age), or to take the unit and give it a good shaking. But before I do
that, does anyone have any ideas if there's anything else I can do myself?
--
Slartibartfast
To reply by email, remove the FJORDS from my address