Bruce L. Bergman

On Sat, 06 Aug 2005 13:54:42 -0700, davefr wrote:

I need a replacement drive belt for an old belt driven dental drill.
It's the type with a drive motor and lots of pulleys and arms going to
the actual drill. (Foredom Model #9).

Considering the age (turn of last century...) the original belt is
probably rawhide or catgut of some sort. Heat-welded (with a
soldering iron) monofilament fishing line / weed whacker line would be
my first try, if for no other reason than a cheap-and-dirty test.

Factory parts are no longer avail. Any suggestions? I'm guessing
it's a continuous loop about 1/8" diam and about 5' long

If all else fails, consider the takeup reel "spring belts" off old
16MM projectors might work as a 'period correct replacement' -
basically a long chunk of tension spring with one end turned down
small, and you threaded the reduced end inside the other end to
"splice" the belt.

Yeah, I did a stint as AV Geek, and many times before and since got
dragooned into running the projector when nobody else could.
Including the time I had to sit there spinning the takeup reel with a
finger for the whole film. ;-)

-- Bruce --

Electrician for Westend Electric - CA726700
5737 Kanan Rd. #359, Agoura CA 91301 (818) 889-9545