John

Default Want to build a new house in my back garden

"Tony Bryer" wrote in message
In article , Andy Hall
wrote:
You missed the point. Legislating for the construction industry to
have to build all, or even a proportion of eco houses is not going to
necessarily make people buy them. Such a notion is a gross
simplification.

Perhaps, but Gordon Brown's company car tax changes (of which I am a
major beneficiary) have changed what is being made (imagine a diesel
BMW or Jaguar 10 years back) and what people are buying.

I was recently surprised to see a number of company car drivers have opted
for twin cab pickups of the gas guzzling 4x4 ilk. apparently they are
classified as commercial vehicles with appropriate tax breaks despite being
kitted out with top spec incar entertainment and other goodies. I don't
suppose they were quite what our tinpot gods thought would result in putting
tax charges up on company cars!