budgie

On Sat, 06 Aug 2005 22:56:43 GMT, "James Sweet" wrote:

I presume you removed the original chip from the board one leg at a time?

If
you don't, damage is fairly much inevitable.

I never do that, unless I'm absolutely positive that the chip is bad. I've
had good luck just removing the solder and pulling the chip.

It's a case of how experienced and capable you are in balancing the heat
application and solder removal techniques. Newbies tend to make a mess of quite
a few boards before the term "deft" would apply.

Furthermore, unless it is a particularly costly or NLA chip, I'd invariably
sacrifice the chip to protect the board.