Tim Mitchell

Default anemometer mechanism

I'm sure the collected wisdom of uk.diy can help with this. I'm making
some electronics for a rather unusual sculpture which reacts to
environmental conditions. One of its triggers is wind speed. I have
googled for ages trying to find someone who supplies anemometer
mechanisms, the 3 cup sort of thing, which will attach to a nearby
building.

It does not need to be calibrated or anything, just output a pulse train
which has frequency proportional to wind speed.

Maplin used to do one, but don't seem to any more. The only other ones I
can find are pukka meteorological ones which cost about 500 pounds. If
anyone knows a supplier for the maplin-type thing I would be most
grateful. I have in the past diy'd an anemometer but the bearings proved
to be problematic so I would rather buy a mechanism. I will however be
doing the electronics myself!
--
Tim Mitchell