Andy Cuffe

On Sat, 6 Aug 2005 08:02:57 +0100, "N Cook" wrote:

Seeing someone else's post on foam problems reminded me.
Years ago I had 3 A4 size sheets of black conductive foam covered with ICs
and for storage placed one each in a new manilla envelope with
details written-up on them. Stored with open flaps, vertically
in a drawer of a filing cabinet indoors, not in a shed. A few years later
came to
use one and all the pins on all the ICs were affected by rust
to the point that some were rusted away totally.
Gummed flaps on envelopes were fine unstuck and no other traces of damp.
Anyone else experience of this?

My guess would be that something in the foam is corrosive, or that the
foam attracts moisture. Rust isn't surprising since ICs often have
tinned steel pins. Are all the ICs made by the same company?
Andy Cuffe

-- Use this address until 12/31/2005

-- Use this address after 12/31/2005