Unquestionably Confused

George wrote:
"Dan Bollinger" wrote in message
news:9t9Je.227899$_o.178198@attbi_s71...

Hmmm. I recall a kid who got in trouble for placing magnesium wire in
the
candle snuffer at church. It ignited without a blowtorch. Of course,

I've

always felt God has a sense of humor. No other way to explain some of
the
phenomena of daily life.

MSDS
Magnesium metal
Autoignition temperatu 473C (883F)

I don't have a candle to measure its flame temperature, but doubt if it is
that hot. Some churches us butane powered candles. I have no problem
thinking they get that hot.

It was whatever they put in flashbulbs - thought it was Mg, might have been
Al. At any rate, did the job.

Surprisingly, to me at least, I found...

"A laminar diffusion flame is a candle. The fuel comes from the wax
vapor, while the oxidizer is air; they do not mix before being
introduced (by diffusion) into the flame zone. A peak temperature of
around 1400°C is found in a candle flame [3]. "

Read more if need be at http://www.doctorfire.com/flametmp.html