Richard Lewis

http://housecall.trendmicro.com/

ral

Gunner wrote:

On Wed, 03 Aug 2005 09:09:43 -0700, Stuart Grey
wrote:

Gunner wrote:
My $#@!! kid turned off the firewall (again) and downloaded something
with a nasty malware called W32/Gaelicum.A

Its infected virtually every .exe file in both my server and my
personal computer. Im posting from my non-networked laptop.

It only effects flles with a .exe extension, but thats thousands of
files on all 4 computers on the network. There is very little info on
the net about it, AVG has only been able to detect it for a week or
so.

It appears to be a trojan of some sort.

Anyone got any suggestions of cleaning the sumbitch, other than a full
hard drive format..which means I have to format at least 14
drives...sigh

The #@$%!!! kid lost all acess to the network..his computer has been
removed from the net, and its not a computer Im going to fix. This was
the last straw.....his box just became a doorstop.

Gunner

I thought you ran linux? Oh well.

I have a linux box..which at the moment will not recognize that the
modem, which it does recognize and dials, is what I want to use for
internet access. It dials out properly and when I try to browse or use
Pan, or any internet acess program..cant find the net. I was using a
proxy server via one of the MS boxes prior to scrounging an external
modem.

My wife does that a lot. She has the only windows machine on my net.

I made backup of a complete, clean, fresh install on DVD. When she
downloads a virus/trojan/spyware, I just back up a few of her files and
then fdisk her disk and then re-install. And I make sure her machine
cannot touch any other machine on the network. No SAMBA, no nothing.

Windows is not worth the trouble. It's a petri dish for virii.

If I had a DVD recorder, Id have made DVD backups. I dont.

Gunner