Swingman

Default Waterstone sharpening - wow!

Personally just "discovered" them ... and even though it is a messy affair,
I can't believe I've let all these years go by without paying them much
attention.

It was a David J. Marks episode, that I finally got around to transferring
from DVR to DVD, that was the catalyst ... that, a dearth of sheet goods, no
supplier's open today, and a yen to do something, anything, in the shop,
despite the heat. (Actually, I trained for the heat yesterday afternoon by
digging a few 3 foot deep post holes, in the sun, in Texas, in August - part
of each through a foot of compacted, buried oyster shell - the 98 degree
shop was cool today by comparison)

My chisels are shaving sharp with just a few minutes spent on each, and an
old, el cheapo block plane that someone thought they were favoring me with,
and that's been hanging around for years, was actually doing what a plane is
supposed to do in about 30 minutes ... not quite the paper thin shavings
that my Veritas and old Stanley's put out, but amazing for such a cheap
tool.

I still don't like to sharpen, but this was almost enjoyable, and might even
get better when I actually know what I'm doing.

Thus far I've got an 800, 4000, 6000, and a naguro for the fine.

.... on the way to buy SWMBO a new cookie sheet to replace the one I stole
from the kitchen.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 7/31/05