DRM

"Mikepier" wrote in message
oups.com...
I don't think you need to put a footing for each stringer. Generally ,
it would be ideal on a slab, but I've seen people use those brick and
patio pavers in the dirt as a footing.
As far as anchoring, I used a joist hanger for each stringer at the
top. On the bottom, you should put some kind of anchoring. If you are
using a slab, just anchor each stringer to the slab. Or if you are
putting posts at the bottom for the railing, anchor the stringer to the
posts, and the posts to the ground. But in general, the top anchoring
is most important.

Thanks for your reply Mikepier, I wonder if you could answer a
couple more questions...

How far should the slab extend the stringers? (What are the dimensions
of the slab knowing that the width of the steps is 6 feet? And would
4 stringers suffice?)
If the deck is on frost piers, won't the slab move with the ground?
(I'm just trying to understand why the steps wouldn't be pulled from
the deck's rim joist if they are anchored at both the slab and the deck.)

Thanks again for your help!

Dale