Edwin Pawlowski

"zz" wrote in message

through that there is a depression at the front of the board like the
knves really dug in for the first couple of inches

is it normal??
or is it a badly set up or low quality machine??

Yes, maybe, maybe.

Even the best of machines can give a little snipe at the front and rear
edges if it is no perfectly flat when going through the rollers. Be sure th
e machine is set up perfectly, feed the board and keep it supported, and
when it exits, keep it supported also.

While my planer is generally snipe free, I do not cut the final length utill
it is thicknessed as one little bungle on my part can cause the snipe. I
leave room to trim it off if needed.

I have some very high quality mahogany i want to machine and dont
really want to waste that leading edge if i can help it

also is it beter to do the edges with a jointing machine or a bench
router and fence??

Yes, you joint one edge, then run it through the table saw with the jointed
edge against the fence. If you don't have a jointer, you can make a sled
and do both edges on the table saw. Depending on what equipment is
availalbe, choose accordingly.