Charles Bishop

In article , "Joseph Meehan"
wrote:

Charles Bishop wrote:
For some reason, I have trouble with the hydraulic door closers.
These are the heavy duty ones used commercially, usually in apartment
buildings and condos. When they no longer close the door the way they
are supposed to: 1)a somewhat rapid first closing, 2) a slower
closing as the door gets near the jamb, then 3) with enough power to
pull the door into the jamb and set the latch, I try adjusting them,
but with less than 100% success.

I find that when I am no longer able to get 100% success, it means they
are worn out and need replaced.

I'd be happy to think that as well, but since I don't do them frequently,
don't know this is the case. Also, since I run into several different
models, adjustment may not be the same in each case. I'm looking for an
overview that will let me be a little more confident that I'm adjusting
them correctly.

For instance the current ones are LCN 4041 and similar. The main
adjustment is labeled, but the closing speed and latch speed aren't. It
seems to take just a small adjustment of these last two to make a
difference, but the difference isn't consistent. It would be good to have
an instruction like "the latch speed adjustment is on the lower left,
adjust it one half turn ccw, then cycle the door 5 times" and so on.

I suppose I may be asking for 20 years of experience to be distilled to 20
minutes of typing, but I thought I'd ask.

Oh, and I googled for a diagram that labeled the adjustments, but all I
got were sites selling the things.

[snip]