Stuart Noble

Chris wrote:
wrote:

Thanks Chris, doesn't sound too daunting. I'll have a close study of
units at DIY stores this week and see how they fit. If the glass and
frame come as two separate pieces (which I didn't realise ) then it
should be OK.

Cheers

Brian

As far as the windows from Wickes are concerned (I wouls expect other
DIY units to be similar), the glass is fitted (held in place by the
beads) but with the protective strip covering the adhesive tape still
fitted. When you remove the beads, the glass comes out - you then fit
the frame, remove the adhesive tape covering and refit the glass and beads.

The trick we found was to line up the glass with spacers with the tape
covering still fitted, because once the glass sticks to the tape it is
not going to want to unstick and be repositioned.

HTH

Chris

Everyone I know finds fitting the beads is the sting in the tail. They
won't go in without pushing the glass into the frame with some force,
which is the last thing a d-i-yer feels inclined to do. Then, yes! you
hear the reassuring click but realise it's not quite high or low enough
and it won't slide. Now you have to put pressure on the glass again to
get the thing out.
All this gets more difficult with bigger panels. If possible, cut your
teeth on a small one and don't try and work alone on anything bigger
than 3ft x 2ft