Broadback

Default Digging a trench Vs boring a tunnel

Ian Stirling wrote:

Nick Brooks wrote:

Hi all

I'd like to replace the water main to the house. The water company have
asked for a trench 750mm deep lined with pea-gravel or similar do be dug
from teh house to the road.

The biggest problem is that the trench will have to go through/under the
garden wall which is a 120 year old dry stone construction which may
well not cope well.

I have just had this done. I was going to dig the trench myself, but my
wife said it was too much work for an old man!! Cheek, but she must be
obeyed. so I got a firm of plumbers, they dug a hole near my wall,
which abuts the pavement, on my side. Another hole was dug abutting the
house wall.

They then "moled" under the wall to the water boards stop cock, and
again from the wall to house hole. Took them about 5 hours all told,
cost me £450, that included coming back, connecting the new pipe house
end after water board did their bit and reinstating the lawn and garden.

Not only did it save me a lot of work but also did not mess the garden.
Well worth it I thought. the mole is driven by an air compressor, and
the operation to get it to go the right way looked quite skilled.
--
Please only reply to Newsgroup as emails
to this address are deleted on arrival.