william_b_noble

good recovery, but you've now revealed another flaw in Detroit's "disposable
car" concept - sometimes a creative person can fix it rather than junk it.

"Lloyd E. Sponenburgh" wrote in message
. ..

"carl mciver" wrote in message
k.net...
I saw somewhere here a few days ago a URL for a company that makes
electronic speedometer adapters. Can someone point me in the right
direction?

A short anecdote: I have a mid-90's Dodge Neon as my mud car. The speedo
failed, and the ECS uses the speedo output as the vehicle speed sensor...
so everything started screwing up.

To replace the $6.00 plastic gear on the transmission output costs over
$1200.00 -- pull the engine and tranny, and split the case.

So I epoxied/fiber wrapped nine magnets around my left front wheel hub,
then got an NPN-o.c. Hall-Effect pickup from Allegro and mounted it on a
small custom bracket over the hub.

Perfect speedometer, and now it's repairable!

LLoyd