Gunner

On Sat, 06 Aug 2005 02:21:12 GMT, "Tom Gardner"
wrote:

Agreed...but, Gunner has perfect, up-to-the-minute back-ups...right
Gunner?

Actually..about 3 weeks old but only data. Ive got a DAT drive on the
server that Ive used to make periodic backups of the various data
files. Simply because the tapes only hold 8 gigs compressed..and it
takes a fair amount of time to write even one tape, let alone swapping
10 of them, which is what it takes to do the the most basic backup
for the network.

Gunner

What could you possibly need that much stuff for? Clean house!

Ive got a library of military training manuals, cookbooks of both
culinary and high energy items, plans, owners manuals, machine tool
manuals, thousands of photos of machine tools, friends, family, some
videos, several CDs such as Win3.11, Win95Se, XP Pro, Win2000 (server
runs under Win2k), various distros of Linux etc etc etc.

My personal computer has 2 40gig hard drives, and attached is an
elderly HP stack of disks...5 80 gig scsi drives, plus floppy, CD-R,
Zip and Syquest drives.

The server is a dual pentium 800mhz with 1 gig of ram, 2 40 gig IDEs,
5 hotswap 80 gig scsis.

The little linux box under the server (KVM 4 port switch handles
everything) is the retard of the group, with only 2 20 gig scsi
drives, and a single 20 gig IDE with 512 ram.

Everything is running through a 3com 24 port 100T switch, which also
has a Linksys dual band wireless transceiver, which connects my lap
top (when I want to network) and the small 450 mhz box out in the
shop, which has my Machinist toolbox, etc etc software on it. I can
and do often take a break from working and post via Agent and a proxy
server. A lot of my weekend posts are done from out in the shop.
Occasionally friends will come over and rifle through my ebooks,
diagrams etc using the wireless acess mode with their laptops and a
wireless card.

Well protected and they cant access the entire net, just a few
machine related directories.

The kids box was a screamer...and is now a door stop for the
foreseable future. Sucks to be him.

Gunner

Liberals - Cosmopolitan critics, men who are the friends
of every country save their own. Benjamin Disraeli