Grant Erwin

Eric's just north of Seattle, maybe it was one of those damn Blue Angels that
have been clogging up traffic. When I was a kid they did NOT close highways
because of the Blue Angels! What a nightmare.

Tom, you're right but a car can't fly in kick your ass and be gone within a
couple of seconds the way a modern fighter aircraft can. :-)

GWE

Tom Gardner wrote:

What always amazed me was the number of maintenance hours per flight hour.
Can you imagine if it was like that for cars?

"Roy" wrote in message

On Fri, 05 Aug 2005 17:51:44 GMT, "Tom Gardner"
wrote:

===F-4...Proof that with enough power, you can make a brick fly!
===

I am an old Phantom II Phixer myself. Great old airplane....Worked on
RF-4C, F4-D, F4-Cs.....They were an awesome aircraft for night time
takeoffs for sure. They would hit that runway on takeoff roll and you
could see each stage of the AB kick in, then they started to rotate,
and thos ehuge long flames from the tailpipe would still be scorching
the runway a long ways back.....

IMHO they were the neatest airplane the Thunderbirds flew......lots of
smoke and noise and their size making seeing and hearing them very
easy.

We later transitioned to F-16C's and from a pilots perspective it was
a vast improvement, but from a mechanics point it was a nightmare and
was a never ending chore keeping the FMC rate up. You can never see
daylight with F-16's but there was always light at the end of the
tunnel in the old F-4 days. The F-4 was a good all around airplane,
not economoical though for fuel, but the F-16 burns almost as much
fuel but its only a great airplane for pilots and not most mechanic
types. Heck the pilot has little to do as the computers do it all for
him anymore.....

"The original frugal ponder"