Norminn

Dan C wrote:
On Fri, 05 Aug 2005 09:45:30 -0500, Todd H. wrote:

Did they not have insurance cover for such disasters?

If you read the story you learn that insurance had lapsed due to
medical bills. It's pretty compelling stuff. Brilliant way to raise
small contributions for what sounds like a pretty hard luck story.

Provided it's all true and not a good social engineering plot of
course.

Sounds like a better-than-average attempt at conning dumb asses out of
their money, to me.

How many incomes in the household? Two? Three? I'm sorry for the
difficulties, but there is nothing there that doesn't happen to a lot of
people. First, put the medical bills on a budget, send letters to those
who are owed money, stating a payment plan. Providers generally will
work with folks when they will make regular payments.

In my area, an agency within welfare dept. can fund household repairs
but when their annual limit is exceeded, that's it. We have a friend
who cares for disabled parent and sibling; really tough situation. Had
bad leaks in roof which he couldn't afford to repair. We looked at it
and it didn't look bad. We know a good roofer, and arranged for him to
check it out and give an estimate. Hubby and I had a deal with the
roofer to give the owner a low figure, and we would pay without owner's
knowledge. Roofer made repairs, gratis. You can probably find a
contractor who is willing to work on a payment plan, if you cannot get
disaster aid. Tried FEMA? City to remove trees? I would not invite
strangers to come onto the property to cut more trees. Good way to lose
your shirt.