JoeTaxpayer

JoeTaxpayer wrote:

The can was untouched for years, 7-8 my guess. My basement is 65 in
winter, maybe 75 in summer. I should have trashed it 5 years ago.

According to Bob Flexner's book _Understanding Wood Finishes_
shellac is acidic and shellac cans are coated to prevent
corrosion. So maybe after eight years or so the coating
broke down and the corrosion generated enough gas, hydrogen
I would think, to overpressure the can and pop it.

What is the condition of the inside of the can?

It didn't seem unusual on the inside, coating looked ok. Can did have
warning that it might not be good after three years but no explosion
warning.

My question remains - will Poly have the same issue? I have a new, half
used gallon can, I thought I'd keep till the next project.
JOE